Practicing Phonics in Context


I always try and have students practice phonics skills in context.  Practicing skills in isolation make it much hard for students to transfer what they are learning.  These are some of my favorite ways for extra phonics practice in context.

Read the Room
I love using "Read the Room" at a workstation.  Students can use clipboards and practice finding words  hidden around the room based on the skills they are learning.  I use all sorts of "Read the Room" cards to practice a variety of phonics skills.  Here is a freebie to see what my read the rooms are like!


Build it!  Write it!  Draw it!
My students love these!  These can also be easily differentiated based on student need.  My intervention groups like using them on "Wacky Wordy Wednesday" where we learn new word patterns.   I've also used them at a word work work station.  This bundle contains short vowel, long vowel, blends, and digraphs! 


Phonics Task Cards
I've also used phonics task cards at a word work work station.  In addition, they make a great warm-up during guided reading.  Here is a freebie to try!  You can click on the picture below to see my bundle of task cards.  My bundle includes short vowel, long vowel, vowel teams, blends, and digraphs.


Decodable Books (A to Z)
I love how Reading A to Z has decodable books.  I like having decodable books available that are in a workstation based on the skills I have been teaching.  They are really easy to differentiate and can reinforce phonics skills.  I am very fortunate that my PTO purchased my license!  It is well worth it :)




No comments

Back to Top