Organizing Magnetic Letters

I love teaching with magnetic letters, especially during word work at guided reading.  I also use magnetic letters at the following work stations:

  • Word Work
  • Sight Words
  • Spelling
  • iPads


My favorite magnetic letters are from Lakeshore Learning because they have the vowels in red.  They can be purchased as an individual set for about $9 or you can get a classroom set that has 240 letters for about $45.

My biggest issue is how to keep them organized.  I have found that each workstation needs their own set of letters. Depending on the goal of the work station, I may change out how students are working with letters.  For example, if it is for a group of students that is still struggling with their letters and sounds, I always make sure that the letters are organized.  This container can be found at a craft store for about $3.  It is study and has a lid.

I have also had great luck at work stations using the container that the magnetic letter organizer that comes with the classroom set at Lakeshore Learning.


If I want students, to have to "search" for letters, I will give them a container.  Over the years, I have found that as long as I don't put too many letters in a container without a lid, they stack just fine.  Many times I can find cute ones at the Dollar Store that are 4 for $1!

Then for small group guided reading, I don't want students to have all the letters at once because it is too overwhelming.  I found these containers from Glad work perfect!  The students love the Frozen and Star Wars theme!  I specifically pick the letters I want for word work each week.  This way word work time is used efficiently.  I have a fifth grade volunteer that helps me with this on Fridays.




3 comments

  1. Love it! I wrote about organizing materials for work work today too. :) I love the box that comes from Lakeshore and the little plastic cups. Magnetic letters can be come chaos quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I keep my letters organized (much like you) in small rubbermaid tubs. :)

    Katie

    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure regarding the various activities being made here which will favorably help the students to achieve their desired means and hopefully these will produce every possible fact about Worksheet practice

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top